UPDATE (16/6/2008): BallinEurope checked the attendance figures of the different European leagues and has compiled some stats based on the averages. We didn’t see any big surprises, as Spanish ACB still tops the list.
The ACB is by far the league that has the best averages in 2007/2008. Second prize goes to Italy, while France takes the bronze medal. The total ranking is incomplete because we could not get figures from several European leagues, including those for Israel, Belgium or Poland. And the figures we took into account are only those for the regular season.
UPDATE (16/6/2008): Figures for the Russian Superleague and the Adriatic League have been added.
So here is the ranking of the leagues according to information available to the public or received by BallinEurope.com from qualified sources:
- ACB (Spain): 6387.00 in attendance per game
- Lega (Italy): 3740.81
- ProA (France): 3503.56
- Bundesliga (Germany): 3469.75
- LEB Gold (Spain): 2944.44
- Superleague (Russia): 2276.76
- Baltic Elite Division: 2238.97
- ProB (France): 1720.00
- Beko League (Turkey): 1363.31
- A1 (Greece): 1228.29
- Adriatic League: 1179.62
- ProA (Germany): 1039.12
- Finland: 865.67
- LNBA (Switzerland): 678.93
- ProB (Germany): 636.11
- Baltic Challenge: 420.73
When it comes to the attendance for individual European teams, we see a common name at the top of the list: CAI Zaragoza, which is averaging an incredible 10,200 fans per game in Spain’s 2nd division, LEB Gold. Other top spots are also dominated by Spanish teams starting with MMT Estudiantes Madrid and Unicaja Malaga at numbers 2 and 3. The first non-Spanish team is Virtus Bologna, in 7th place.
UPDATE (16/6/2008): The figures for the ACB have been corrected with official figures from the ACB League. We have also added figures from the Russian Superleague and Adriatic League (excepting KK Zadar, KK Split and Geoplin Slovon, none of which published attendance figures within boxscores).
For this ranking, we had no figures for the French teams, only general attendance figures for the league were provided without details per team.
- Basket CAI Zaragoza (LEB Gold): 10,200.0 in attendance per game
- MMT Estudiantes (ACB): 9641.0
- Unicaja Málaga (ACB): 9152.0
- Real Madrid (ACB): 8917.0
- Tau Ceramica (ACB): 8629.0
- DKV Joventut (ACB): 7744.0
- CB Granada (ACB): 7498.0
- La Fortezza Virtus Bologna (Lega): 6989.2
- ALBA Berlin (Bundesliga): 6907.9
- Brose Baskets Bamberg (Bundesliga): 6864.7
- Pamesa Valencia (ACB): 6864.0
- Scavolini Spar Pesaro (Lega): 6447.2
- Bruesa GBC (LEB Gold): 6300.0
- Capitol Valladolid (ACB): 6182.0
- Iurbentia Bilbao (ACB): 5747.0
- Cajasol (ACB): 5353.0
- ViveMenorca (ACB): 5310.0
- Grupo Begar León (ACB): 5285.0
- Barons/LMT (Baltic League): 5235.6
- Alta Gestión Fuenlabrada (ACB): 5099.0
Some big names in European basketball place a bit lower in the rankings, such as like Montepaschi Siena (4987.5 per game), FC Barcelona (4629.0), Panathinaikos (4360.4), Benetton Treviso (2698.6), Zalgiris Kaunas (2384.1) and Efes Pilsen Istanbul (1098.0).
NB: Please note that all figures are official figures published or communicated by the leagues or transmitted by league officials to BallinEurope.com.
UPDATE (16/6/2008): The numbers from the Russian Superleague and the AdriaticLeague have been calculated by the BallinEurope.com team. The numbers from LEB Gold were provided by the “Spanish Calculator” and represent those from the first part of the season only.